Saturday, March 27, 2010

The Spirit Lives On : Trooper Michael W. Haynes

One Year Later:  Montana Highway Patrol – End of Watch March 27, 2009

I suppose that we all have an impact on those around us, those whose lives brush up against ours through time. Whether it is through actions or reactions, words or deeds, we as friend, family, or foe can cause an action or reaction in those around us.  There are some in this world whose impact far surpasses the circle of family and friends; ones who have a message so strong and so profound that its reach is widespread and seeks out those outside their acquaintances.  These men and women have the ability by either chance or God's design to touch hearts and change lives.  Maybe it is by their example.  Or maybe it is by their direct interaction with those around them.  These special few are those who in some inexplicable way alter the path of another’s life, even those of complete strangers.  Michael Haynes was one of those men.

Trooper Michael Haynes was and is many things to many people.  He served his country with pride, courage, and honor.  He served the citizens of the great State of Montana as a proud member of the Montana Highway Patrol.  He was a husband, a father, a son, a brother, and a friend.  Today is the anniversary of the date that marked the end of Trooper Haynes' earthly watch and the beginning of a new tour of duty in a higher place.  On March 27, 2009, one year ago today, his body ceased to be all these things to those who knew and loved him.  There would be no more times to laugh and enjoy the company of his family while recalling old memories and making new ones playing video games, playing his bass, or out shooting with his dad.  There would be no more days that he would hug his children close to his chest as he marveled at the wonderful tiny people he was blessed to have in his life.  He wouldn’t have another chance to take his beloved wife in his arms and tell her just how much he loved her.  No longer would he patrol the highways of Montana in his quest to serve and protect the citizens that were entrusted to his care.  Never again would he be the one to lead the charge to curb the ever-growing numbers of those who feel that there is nothing wrong with putting the lives of every other man, woman, and child on the line when they drink then drive.  A generous, happy, loving, and honest man was taken away from his family and friends by one of those that he worked tirelessly to stop...a drunk driver.


But, while Trooper Haynes left this world in body, he did not leave it in spirit.  That spirit remains in the legacy he left behind.  His wife, Tawny, and their adorable children will forever carry him in their hearts.  The mother and father who brought him into this world as a gift from God will never be apart from the ever-lasting special love that only a child can give.  And the memories of growing up with that special bond that only exists between siblings will never fade for his brother and sister.  He did not get to complete his task here on earth, but his wife, his family, and his fellow officers will take up the battle for him.  They have and will continue to pick up and carry on that task in his absence.  His vision of a safe and better world can still be seen through the eyes of each of them as well as those of us who were lucky enough to learn and read about him through his friends and family.

The first time I learned of Trooper Haynes was in a breaking news alert from a station in Montana.  It was March 23, 2009.  I really just scanned the title and then closed the email. I was almost ready to delete it when I changed my mind and went back to it again.  For some reason, I clicked on the link and went to the station’s website.  I read the article and it upset me.  His name wasn’t even listed at first.  That came later.  I was little surprised that I felt so unsettled after reading about the crash.  I mean I didn't know this man.  But it bothered me.  At first there was no information about his condition.  I believe it might have been the next day that I checked again and it said "critical but stable".  I kept waiting for more information but it never came.  I checked the site several times that day but found nothing new.  I remember thinking that this was good.  We all know that good news doesn't typically sell.  And at that point I did not understand that the Montana stations were different from most in that they appear to go out of their way to present as many good news stories as bad ones.  So I thought, "Okay. No news. So he must be doing better. Probably won't hear anything else about him."  But, it just kept bothering me so the next day I checked again but really found nothing more.  I let a couple of more days go by.  I thought about it several times but decided I needed to stop checking on it so often.  And then I went back to check one more time.  The date was March 27th.  There was still nothing new there.  That confirmed it.  He was okay.  He would be fine and they wouldn't bother to report that.


I remember exactly what I was doing.  I was sitting at the desk and had closed the station’s website.  I opened Facebook and was there for maybe an hour at the most when I heard an email come in.  It was another breaking news alert.  I opened it without thinking about it.  And as soon as I did, I couldn't even move.  I couldn't open the site.  I couldn't close the email.  I just couldn't do anything...except cry.  I sat in that chair and cried for...I don't even know how long.  I cried for this man I did not know.  I cried for a family and friends I had never met.  I cannot tell you to this day, not even after a year of trying to figure it out, why the loss of one officer that I did not know, had never met and never even heard of before affected me in the way that it did.  It just broke my heart.  I will never forget it.  I will never forget him or the things I've learned about him as a Trooper and as a man from his family and friends.  And I will never forget his death telling me that I have a job to do.   I have to make people see.  I have to make them understand that there are men and women all across this nation who walk out the doors of their homes every single day to protect all of us.  They kiss their loved ones and they go do jobs that few in this world can do.  Every minute of their day is filled with danger.  The most routine call can turn deadly in the blink of an eye.  And a drunk driver behind the wheel can be traveling the wrong way on the wrong side of the highway heading straight into a deadly collision.


There are many things about the life of a peace officer that I somehow knew in that one minute of time.  I won't pretend to know what it's like to be an officer or be the wife or husband, son or daughter, brother or sister, father or mother of an officer.  My sister was a deputy.  My nephew is an officer.  But, I didn't get it.  I didn't understand before and sadly it is not through my love for them that I understand now.  It took the death of a good man I never got to meet to somehow make me understand at least a part of what they face in terms of a public that usually doesn't want them around unless they are the one that needs help.  And I know that the majority of those who do not spend their waking hours spewing hate and contempt for the very person who would be there to help them day or night are at best apathetic and stand idly by like it doesn't concern them.  It's my job, my place to do whatever I can do to change that.  One person, two...whether the number is small or the number is large...it is my task to try to make that happen.  The loss of Trooper Haynes somehow showed me that.  His death changed my life.


I know that there is not one second in time that he is not walking every step that Tawny walks as she carries on his fight in trying to raise awareness and gain support for toughening the laws for DUI offenders.  I know that he was standing at her side supporting her when she accepted the award on his behalf as he was recognized along with Trooper Glen Barcus for leading the Highway Patrol in DUI arrests the year before he was killed.  And I know that he has a special smile for her, his family, and his fellow officers who took over the watch for him and are fighting those battles today.  I sincerely hope with all my heart that when the day comes that I can stand in front of him, face to face, and finally get to shake his hand...I hope he smiles and I hope he says "Good job. You did well."


Trooper Haynes, you are missed terribly by those who love you and those who had the privilege to know you.  Thanks to Tawny and your dad I have had a very blessed opportunity to learn many things about you, how you lived your life and the man you became.  It is truly an honor.  And if I may say just one more thing… “Good job, sir. You did well.”


Written By: Peggy Parker - Administrator of the Facebook Cause
~A Tribute To Those who Wear The Shield~

1 comment:

  1. That was beautiful!! Thanks for sharing that with everyone!

    ReplyDelete